Established in 1908, Marquand Library of Art and Archaeology is one of the oldest and most extensive art libraries in America. It serves the Princeton University community and scholars from around the world, attracting more than 150,000 visitors each year. The noncirculating collection of some 500,000 volumes covers Western and Eastern art from antiquity to the present, and includes distinguished 15th- through 21st-century rare book holdings. Marquand supports research in the fine, decorative, and media arts, photography, architecture, and archaeology. The library acquires about 15,000 new titles each year, including books, exhibition catalogues, and journals in print and electronic formats, as well as image databases and videos.
Marquand Library was renovated and expanded in 2003, and now occupies 46,000 square feet on five floors of McCormick Hall. In addition to some 160 public seats—both table and lounge seating—there are more than one hundred private study carrels. Junior majors and regular patrons who do not have a carrel can apply for an assigned visiting scholar’s shelf.
The library is open weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 11:45 p.m., Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 10:45 p.m., and Sundays noon to 11:45 p.m., with reduced hours during breaks. The rare book collection can be consulted weekdays 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Librarians are available for one-on-one research consultations or group instruction, and also provide assistance via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The library has an overhead scanner, book-edge and flat-bed scanners, regular and color printers, photocopiers, a microform scanner, and numerous public computers. For more information about Marquand’s collections and services, see the library’s website, library.princeton.edu/marquand.