Established in 1908, Marquand Library of Art and Archaeology is one of the oldest and most extensive art libraries in America. It serves the Princeton University community and scholars from around the world, attracting more than 150,000 visitors each year. The non-circulating collection of over 500,000 volumes covers world art and architecture from antiquity to the present and includes distinguished rare book holdings. Marquand supports research in the fine, decorative, and media arts, photography, architecture, and archaeology. The library acquires some 20,000 new titles each year, including books, exhibition catalogues, journals, and electronic resources.
Marquand Library was renovated and expanded in 2003, occupying 46,000 square feet on five floors of McCormick Hall. During Art Museum construction, Marquand is open in two temporary reading rooms in Firestone, C Floor. Physical collections are divided between ReCAP (off-site shelving facility), Upstate NY (former Marquand stacks), Special Collections, and 693 Alexander Road.
Marquand is open in Firestone M-Wed 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Thurs. and Fri 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, and Sun 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm with reduced hours during breaks. The rare book collection may be consulted in Special Collections weekdays 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., minus oversize volumes (folios and elephant folios) that require more advanced notice. A librarian is available for one-on-one research consultations and group instruction. General questions may be directed to [email protected].